SAHK (a cerebral palsy charity)

by jonathanhamilton on December 15, 2011

Reflection from one of our students:

Participating in the learning groups for children suffering from some sort of mental disability has really helped me gain a better understanding of the problems families suffer to support one child. The parents of these children are really supportive and are very willing to accept their child’s conditions, as well as being willing to cooperate with counselors to help their children gain the most out of their classes. The challenges I faced while participating in this course was to make myself useful. This is my first time taking part in a center to help people in need, and at the beginning, I had no knowledge of how best help the situation. However, as time progressed, I’ve come to understand what my counselor needs me to do, and have been helping with keeping the children under control. As the children are suffering from some kind of mental disability, trying to get their attention and have them sit still is a very tasking job. Especially children at the age of 3-5, where they are very active in their movements. Through this course, I have learnt of how to control the children to a certain degree. Letting them move is acceptable, if they do not run around the classroom. Having them pay attention is a difficult as well, as their attention span is not as great as other kids their age. My counselor suggested some tips to bring their focus in, and this has helped a great lot in having steer their attention to the task at hand. In one class, there are six children, and it is not possible for only one person to handel so many children. I took on this task a a way for me to cooperate with others, and to help with tasks. My counselor briefs me before every class to have me understand what I am expected to do, and what the children are expected to do. This helps me understand her goals for the class, as well for individual children. I have been going to every class in this session, as this participation has integrated itself into my weekend schedules. Going to the center every week is a regular for me, and although work from school is starting to cause stress, I have found that going to the classes and seeing the children is a true stress reliever as it helps me focus solely on the kids. I have seen them improve through the classes, and it is a great joy to know that the classes I am helping them in is doing some good. In the beginning, when the children were still new to each other, they would snatch toys from other children without asking or consideration for the other. Towards the end of the sessions, they have been better at sharing with others, even asking other children to build legos with them. Seeing this improvement in them keeps me content, and drives me to keep going to the sessions to see their social skills develop. Being involved in this center has had me consider the impact their parents have on the children. Children who have a disability are discriminated against, and although the children I am helping appear to be “normal”, I know they will be discriminated against while playing with others at school. I thought of the many people in the world who suffer from prejudice eyes, and I feel a great protectiveness while thinking about this. I would like to do more for people like these children in the future.