Challenge # 4 – Making Categories

by alonicahusac on December 13, 2011

It’s time to meet your teacher advisors. These mentors are helpful and knowledgeable people who are interested in learning about blogging through your work as well as eager to help you succeed and become a better blogger. Your teacher advisor is going to visit your blog regularly to see your challenges, give you feedback through comments and keep track of how your blogging battle skills are improving. To make things easier for them, this week’s challenge involves making a category for all you BBB or BBB-related posts.

Categories help us stay organized and find things when we need find them in a hurry. It’s annoying to scroll through your entire blog to find something that you wrote about 3 months ago. Categories help us keep things neat, tidy and easy to find.

This category you will create for this challenge will appear in your menu and all posts that are marked with the category will be recorded there. We will call this new category “BBB“.

Here are the steps for making a new category.

1. Click on Categories <– under the Posts tab in the left side menu on your dashboard.
2. Name your new category BBB and then click on Add New Category at the bottom of the page.
3. Now you will need to go through your old posts and open up the ones that are about the BBB – you all have at least one post about the BBB, if not more. In the editing area of the post you can click on the category BBB to label it. Make sure you update the post.
4. Next, go to menus <– under the Appearance tab in the left side menu on your dashboard.
5.  You may or may not already have a menu created. If you don’t then please create a new one and give it a name (like My Menu 2011).
6. Below you can select pages and/or categories to appear in your top blog menu. Tick the boxes of the ones you want to appear and click Add to Menu. These will appear in the right box and you can drag them around to change their order.
7. Where it says primary menu (on the left) make sure that you’ve selected the menu you just created.
8. Next, make sure you save (using all the blue buttons) before leaving this page.
9. Check your blog to see if the BBB tab has been added to your top blog menu.
10. I made a BBB category on the BBB site and I categorized this particular post as a BBB post. Therefore, when you click on the BBB tab on the top blog menu, you see this post!

If you’re having trouble with this – then that’s good! It’s called a challenge, remember? If this is too easy for you, then just wait – the challenges will get harder in the new year 🙂

Please take a look at this Google Doc to see who your assigned teacher advisor is going to be. You will hear from them in after the Winter Break.

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Profile photo of alonicahusac alonicahusac February 1, 2012 at 11:11 am

Sorry to keep you waiting for years 🙂 I have just updated the new challenge 5 – I hope you’re not too old to do it now!

Extreme 24 January 29, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Hi Ms. Cahusac,
I’ve been waiting for challenge five for years.
I hope it comes soon! (maybe after CNY break)
-Extreme 24

Alpha-Adventurer 20 January 11, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Hi Ms. Cahusac,
I did c #1 and some others I think, but in the mentors google doc, you said I didn’t do any of them.
Thanks!
Alpha-Adventurer 20

Extreme 24 January 7, 2012 at 11:42 am

Hint to Alpha Adventurer 15: What I did was fiddled around with the thesis options.
Extreme 21: Yes, it is different.

Profile photo of alonicahusac alonicahusac January 6, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Challenge # 1

Dynamo 15 January 5, 2012 at 10:06 pm

What does c#1 mean?

Extreme 21 December 17, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Hi Ms. Cahusac,
I was just wondering, are categories and tags the same? In our class, we have tags and we also have a tag cloud widget to show our tags. Is it different than this challenge?

Thanks,
Extreme 21

Alpha Adventurer 15 December 14, 2011 at 4:30 pm

Hi Ms. Cahusac,

When I go to add a BBB post to the BBB category there is no place that shows were you can add a category.

Do you know wahtis wrong?

Thanks,

Alpha Adventurer 15