Challenge # 3 – Word Clouds

by alonicahusac on November 28, 2011

What is a Word Cloud? Well, Wikipedia says,

“A tag cloud (or word cloud) is a visual representation for text data, typically used to depict keyword metadata (tags) on websites, or to visualize free form text. ‘Tags’ are usually single words, and the importance of each tag is shown with font size or color. This format is useful for quickly perceiving the most prominent terms and for locating a term alphabetically to determine its relative prominence. When used as website navigation aids, the terms are hyperlinked to items associated with the tag.”

In other words, a tag cloud or word cloud is a picture that shows words of different sizes, layouts, fonts and colours to see which words are the most significant within a body of text (i.e key words). You can do this with an essay or a website or a school assignment or even a blog!

Take some time to look back on the posts you have made this year. What are they mostly about? Has your writing changed over time? Do you see improvements and differences as you progressed over the year? For this week’s challenge, you need to create a word/tag cloud of your blog, showing the key words and common topics of your blog. You can use Wordle if you’d like, but you can also find out about some other word cloud creators, such as TagCrowd or Tagxedo. Play around a little bit with more than one get a final image that you really like. Post your new word/tag cloud to your own blog and write a short post explaining why you’ve created this. You should state which online tool you used to create your image.  You can also tell you readers if you feel that the image describes your blog accurately. Why or why not? Were you surprised with the words most represented in the cloud?

Here is a word cloud that I made by inserting the BBB Blog as the URL using the tool Taxego. I really think this is the tool that allows you to be the most creative, but you’ll need to play around for a looooong time 🙂

Good Luck!

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

6B Alanna December 13, 2011 at 8:31 pm

I already made my cloud on Tagxedo, and posted about it, but now it’s one of my “older” posts already, so if you want to find it, you should go to the December section of my archive. Thanks!
~Alanna 6B

DJ06 December 5, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Hi BBB,

I have no IDEA how you are supposed to put your tagxedo in a post and it is getting on my nerves! Anyone knows how to do it??????

Annelien

Extreme 24 December 2, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Extreme 11:
You’ll have to install Microsoft Silverlight for Tagxedo to work. I think the Tagxedo webpage gives you the link for the downloading of Microsoft Silverlight. On a mac, although the computer doesn’t need you to restart, you’ll have to restart your computer after you’ve installed Silverlight, and you’ll be good to go.
Hope that helps!
-Extreme 24

Extreme 11 November 30, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Ms. Cahusac,
I tried to use tagxedo, tagcrowd and wordle and I had a few problems. I am using a Macbook at home and to use tagxedo and wordle, you are supposed to install some sort of application. Also, I want something creative for my blog and tagcrowd is not very creative but you don’t need to install anything!
Any ideas?!
Extreme 11.

Profile photo of alonicahusac alonicahusac November 29, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Hi Extreme 13. I went to your blog to see what you have in your side bars – that’s a cool little tag cloud widget that you’ve installed. Problem is that it’s not very creative and it doesn’t have very many words in it. The tag cloud you have is not the same as the activity for the BBB Challenge # 3. For the BBB you need to do exactly as the challenge instructs – make an image using one of the online word cloud creators and write about it on your own blog in a post. Please be sure to read the instructions very carefully when you are doing challenges 🙂

Extreme 13 November 29, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Hi Ms. Cahusac

In class we made a tag cloud to put the on our side bar. Is the same thing as the thing we are supposed to put on our blogs?

Extreme 13

Samantha 6C November 29, 2011 at 9:40 am

I tried using taxego! The results are great! 😀