Challenge # 6 – MAKEOVER!

by alonicahusac on March 15, 2011

It’s time to jazz up your blog a little bit! Since we don’t have theme options on our school blogs, sometimes we run the risk of looking the same as everyone else…. how boring! So I was thinking that this was a great time to make your blogs a bit more personalized. Here are some way for you to do exactly that. Choose the options that you like, try something new, take a risk and have fun 🙂 It is not mandatory that you do all of these, they are suggestions. You may also have some fun ideas of your own, and if you do, then share the wealth by adding an idea into a comment below. Happy Makeovering.

1. The “About Me” Page: Have you made one yet? Or is it time for an update? An about me page is very important because readers who have never met you want to know who the author of the blog is usually within their first visit to a blog. It is important to remember not to give away any private or personal information, but a general description of who you are and what you like to do will give readers an idea of your perspective and where you’re coming from. When you look at other CDNIS blogs, you usally know who they are written by. Imagine if you had no idea and wanted a bit of reference to put the blog in context. An “About Me” page is a very important thing!

– Visit vocaroo, a website that allows you to record your own voice and then embed it into the page! That’s a cool way to personalize your “bio”
– Add some pictures of things you like
– Update the information about new things in your life that you are excited about
– Write out the lyrics to a song or a poem that you really love and explain why

2. Personalized Widgets: Browse around at other people’s blogs to find widgets that you like. When you see something that you like, click on it and usually you will be re-directed to the website where you can create your own widget. Try something new that no one else has done by doing some of your own searches about widgets. There’s something out there for everyone. If you come across a fun place to find widgets/badges, then put in a comment for others to share the fun!

– Check out all kinds of cool stuff at WidgetBox
– Or even more things in the kids area of Widgipedia

3. Avatars: Avatars are very cool ways to represent yourself in a creative and fun way, instead of using a photograph – how boring! They are very important to people who are uncomfortable showing their face on the internet for all the world to see. I think it’s a fun way portray yourself – a little like when we did self-portraits at ArtJammaLamma! Did you know that there are 2 ways to have an avatar? There is a blog avatar and a commenting avatar. Once you’ve made an avatar that you are really happy with, upload it as your commenting avatar. Feeling bold? How about putting your avatar in your media box? If you’re not sure how to do this (it’s a bit too complicated to explain here) then come and see me and I’ll show you! Or better, yet find a person who has successfully made their media box their avatar and ask them!

Portrait Illustration Maker (this is my favorite spot to make wild and crazy avatars!)

{ 4 comments… read them below or add one }

5E Sincere Lee June 13, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Dear Ms. Cahusac
I tried to upload an avatar for my blog, but it just always fail and I don’t know what to do.
Will you please help me???

Sophia April 27, 2011 at 7:04 pm

Dear Ms. Cahusac,
Whenever I try to put on an avatar for myself on my blog, it keeps on saying:
Upload Failed! Error was: Unable to create directory /avatars/305. Is its parent directory writable by the server?

Even though I used PNG, then JPG format for uploading the avatar!
What do I do? Please help! 🙁
~Sophia 5E

Katie April 7, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Dear Ms. Cahusac,
I tried doing a about me page but every time I am done and I go check my blog it is not there, and when I go to my pages it says it is already posted, can you help please?
Katie-5A

Yan Yan April 2, 2011 at 10:18 am

Dear Ms. Cahusac,
I tried to upload an avatar to my blog many, many times but failed. There’s this post that keeps popping up that says something about ‘Parent Directory Server/404/’.
Can you please help me?
😳 🙁
~Yan Yan (5E)